Canada – Apply for Travel Visa eTA

Most travellers need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to, or transit through a Canadian airport.

What you need depends on:

  • the type of travel document you will travel with;
  • the country that issued your travel document;
  • your nationality; and
  • how you will travel to Canada.

If you do not have the proper documents, such as an eTA or visa, you may be delayed or prevented from boarding your flight to Canada.

The eTA application process

Applying for an eTA is simple, all you need to do is fill in the form below, get your passport details and your credit or debit card ready and use the online form. Most submitted applications are approved within 72 hours. However, some requests can take several days to process if you are asked to submit supporting documents.

Once your eTA is approved, check that the passport number in your eTA approval email matches the number in your passport. If they don’t match, you need to apply for a new eTA.

What to bring to the airport

After your eTA is approved, it will be linked to the passport you used to apply. You need to present this passport when you check-in to your flight to Canada. You don’t need to print out any special document.

The airline staff will scan your passport to confirm that you have a valid eTA. If you don’t have one, you won’t be able to board your flight.

Visa-exempt (eTA eligible) travellers

The following travellers need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to board their flight to Canada. However, these travellers do not need an eTA if entering by land or sea – for instance driving from the U.S. or coming by bus, train, or boat, including cruise ship. A visitor visa is required in that case.

A visitor visa gives you the most flexibility. You can use it to travel to Canada by any means: plane, car, bus, train, or boat.

You need an eTA when you fly to visit Canada or transit through a Canadian airport

Other travellers need a visa to come to Canada by any method of travel – plane, car, bus, train, or cruise ship.

If you’re a worker or student, you must also meet Canada’s entry requirements. A work permit or study permit is not a visa. In most cases, you’ll also need a valid visitor visa or eTA to enter Canada.

eTA exemptions

Foreign nationals with official Canadian documents

  • Travellers with a valid Canadian visa.
  • Travellers with valid status in Canada (e.g. visitor, student or worker) who re-enters Canada after only visiting the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon.

Foreign nationals in the following situations

  • French citizens who live in Saint Pierre and Miquelon and are flying directly to Canada from St. Pierre and Miquelon.
  • Foreign nationals who are passengers destined to, or coming from, the United States on a flight that stops in Canada solely to refuel and
  • have proper documents to enter the United States, or
  • were lawfully admitted to the United States.
  • Foreign nationals who are passengers on a flight that makes an unscheduled stop in Canada.
  • Foreign nationals who transit through a Canadian airport under the Transit Without Visa or China Transit Program.

Travel and official representatives

  • Flight crew, civil aviation inspectors, accident investigators who are or will be working while in Canada.
  • Members of Armed Forces (not including the civilian component of an armed forces) of a country designated under the Visiting Forces Act coming to Canada to carry out official duties.
  • Diplomats accredited by the Government of Canada.

U.S. citizens

  • U.S. citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement and must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.
  • Lawful permanent residents of the United States who hold valid status in the U.S. are exempt from the eTA requirement.
    • They must carry official proof of status (or an equivalent status document) and a valid passport from their country of nationality (or an equivalent travel document).
    • See the complete list of documents for lawful permanent residents of the U.S.

Apply for an ETA here*

The form is relatively straightforward and most request are processed quickly.

You should expect a decision at the latest within 72 hours.

Are your visiting Canada and also want to go to the U.S?

Most travellers need a visitor visa or an ESTA to travel to, or transit through the United States of America.

If your travel purpose is not tourism, a different visa type will be required.

A refused ETA does not in itself mean you will not be able to gain entry to Canada. Depending on your circumstances and the reason of refusal, there may be alternative entry options that you could pursue.

Please book a consultation session to determine your visa needs here:

*Please note, that we are not affiliated with the government.

We are a third party agency that charges a service fee.

Your information may be submitted to the government, for which they may or may not charge a fee.