5+1 Favourite countries in the LGBT world
The world offers a diverse range of destinations that are known for being inclusive and welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community. While preferences may vary, here are five countries (plus a bonus) known for their positive attitudes and legal protections for LGBTQ+ individuals.Szilvi – Continent Surfer
Which countries and why?
- Netherlands: The Netherlands is often considered a global leader in LGBTQ+ rights. It was the first country to legalize same-sex marriage in 2001 and has a vibrant LGBTQ+ scene, particularly in Amsterdam.
- Canada: Canada has made significant strides in LGBTQ+ rights, legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide in 2005. Major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal have thriving LGBTQ+ communities and host vibrant Pride events.
- Sweden: Sweden has long been known for its progressive stance on LGBTQ+ rights. It was the first country to declassify homosexuality as an illness in 1979 and has strong legal protections in place. Stockholm is renowned for its LGBTQ+-friendly atmosphere.
- Spain: Spain is known for its LGBTQ+-friendly culture and vibrant LGBTQ+ scene. Same-sex marriage has been legal since 2005, and cities like Madrid and Barcelona offer a wide range of LGBTQ+ events, clubs, and bars.
- New Zealand: New Zealand is celebrated for its inclusive and progressive society. It legalized same-sex marriage in 2013 and has laws protecting LGBTQ+ rights. Cities like Auckland and Wellington have active LGBTQ+ communities.
+1. Uruguay: Uruguay may be a lesser-known destination, but it stands out for its LGBTQ+ rights and inclusivity. It became the first country in South America to legalize same-sex marriage in 2013 and has anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBTQ+ individuals.
Did yo know?
In Austria, registered partnerships have existed since 01.01.2010 and marriage has been allowed for everyone since 01.01.2019. Registered partnerships and marriages can be celebrated in some of the most beautiful locations in the city: in Schönbrunn Palace and the Hofburg, in the Albertina, in the Kunst Haus Wien, or even in the Vienna Giant Ferris Wheel. Of course, all the registry offices are also open for registering civil partnerships and marriages.
Want to go abroad? Interested in useful advice, personal experiences? Contact our professional advisors and language teachers if you don’t want to be surprised! Surf the Continent Surfer page!
Get help from our professional consultants and language teachers, partners, so you can be as prepared as possible for your trip when the time comes and avoid any surprises!
England, Australia, New Zealand, America or Canada, or would you rather stay in Europe?
Looking for a solution? Click here or on the image to contact our Partners and Experts!
If you like what we do, please support us as much as you can by clicking on the image below, even on a monthly basis. Thank you!